Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Marriage Story

Noah Baumbach's Marriage Story is being hailed by critics as one of the best films of the year. And I agree, it is. The story is complex and layered, the actors are at the top of their games, and the dialogue dense and riveting.

Where I part with critics is that the flick is often described as a story about divorce. About a relationship lost. Rather, I think Marriage Story is about two people who finally find their authentic selves after years of being lost.

Lost in their selfishness. Lost in the day-to-day struggle of trying to make everything work but not being able to give full attention to everything they need to make work. They've lost their individual identities and their appreciation for what each person gives to the other.

There's no more telling line than mid-way through, where Adam Driver's Charlie is confronted by Scarlett Johansson's Nicole about a possible extramarital affair. Charlie responds that if the allegation is true, Nichole "shouldn't be upset I fucked her, you should be upset I had a laugh with her."

For some time the couple has simply existed in the same space, their marriage maintained by the love for their young son and by memories of who they used to be.

Baumbach's script provides important context and then allows the actors room to let their characters grow. We learn about Charlie and Nicole first through the eyes of the spouse; then, we get to sit alone with each for a while and get to know them. Both are human -- they are sometimes likable, sometimes not so much. Both have moments where they come off as the white hat to the audience, then moments where they are clearly the villain.

Like I said: human.

The performances of Driver and Johansson are the heart of Marriage Story. Watching them, I was reminded of friends I've had who separated and, suddenly, I found myself uncertain about with whom I could remain friends. I felt this way while watching Marriage Story.

I really want to stay friends with both.




No comments: