Saturday, December 26, 2020

Wander Darkly

In my youth I loved reading books about souls trapped in some netherworld (purgatory, for example, or some respite home-base between reincarnated lives). It was intrigued that a person could live a life full of accomplishments and failures, reflect on and learn lessons from that reflection after death, then move on to another existence. And all the better for it. 

I don't believe in that process, but I want to. 

I sometimes think about that during times of trouble. I'll retreat and pause, and consider: "If this is part of my end-of-life review, what will I learn from it?" On occasion the answer is profound and life changing; most times, however, I give it a shoulder shrug and forget about it before my second cup of coffee. 

Wander Darkly -- like the Ryan Gosling flick Stay from 2005 -- is sorta kinda about a life review. Written and directed by Tara Miele (fans of the TV Arrowverse will recognize her name) Wander Darkly is inspired by a real life event that happened to Miele. The plot is a tightly written puzzle, and the acting is superb. Although the movie is impossible to discuss without treading into spoiler territory, I was deeply affected by watching Sienna Miller work through her mounting confusion. 

It forced me to think about my life decisions and actions. And I need that from time to time. 

Especially with 2021 just around the corner. 




No comments: