Friday, May 19, 2006

No Hablo W

From the AP:

WASHINGTON (May 19) - President George W. Bush supports two Senate proposals that English is the U.S. language and the "common and unifying language," White House spokesman Tony Snow said Friday.

This is a lame discussion and, in my opinion at least, merits no need for real debate. Considering the overwhelming majority of our media is printed or broadcast in English, and our governing bodies use English as the primary means of communication, I'm dubious of the intent of those proposals. I'm guessing the proposals have more to do with making some folks feel better just before voting season. (Which is a lot like deer season, but with more death and destruction.)

I'm chuckling today, though, because proposals to make English our "common and unifying language" are supported by a man who said:

Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometimes until we get an objective analysis. (on CNBC, April 15, 2005)

The illiteracy level of our children are appalling. (speech on January 23, 2004)

Let me put it to you this way. I'm not a revengeful person. (Time, December 25, 2000)

One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end. (speech on January 8, 2003)

4 comments:

Jana said...

My mom is an illegal immigrant, but she took the time to learn the "common and unifying language." Why can't everyone else?

The Film Geek said...

And I'm glad she did, more people should. But, there is a big difference between what one should do on their own initiative, and having the same put into law. Plus, it is a strawman argument designed to make people feel good, like a law against flag burning. All form, no substance. See Donutbuzz.com for a great post on that.

Kelly said...

Marc,

You have offended me! Your poor mother, you know the one, she died 2 years ago. She was such a sweet lady who immigrated from Mexico and never learned English. Why would you talk about her that way? May she rest in peace!

The Film Geek said...

I wish I knew someone from Rio Grande so I could get some discounts. My mother loved the place so much!