Thursday, March 22, 2007

Calvert DeForest

Calvert DeForest--known as Larry "Bud" Melman to fans of the old-school David Letterman show--died Monday at the age of 85.



Back in the day, Letterman was considered edgy and innovative. In fact, most modern late night comedy shows owe a great debt to Letterman; much of the style and many of the running bits used today originated on the old Late Night With David Letterman show. One of the things Dave did best, though, was find talent and comedy in every day people.



DeForest, who Letterman discovered, was a recurring character on the show. He made me laugh some nights until my sides ached. He wasn't a great actor, but there was something magical about him that made him fun to watch. Letterman seemed to love him.

So did I.

Here's why:




4 comments:

jedijawa said...

I remember that guy! He was a trip!

I also remember when Letterman used to be funny. Now he's about as boring as I always have thought Johny Carson to be. Conan is where it's at now. How long till he becomes unfunny like his peers?

The Film Geek said...

Yep, I like Conan. Mostly because he reminds me of 1980's Dave. Like last night, in the middle of a bit some character in the stands starts talking and the bit swerves to that dialogue. That's funny now, but it's classic Letterman influence.

Stanton said...

Hey Geek, what were you doing up watching Conan? Aren't you supposed to be in bed by midnight (per your "wellness plan")?

I'm tellin'!

The Film Geek said...

Hey Stanton! You are correct, sir. And if you notice in my wellness journal, this is the one area in which I'm struggling.

I think it's the gas from all the hot dogs I eat.