Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My Top 5: Movies With Comic Book Origins

After catching Spider-Man 3 over the Memorial Day weekend, I can't stop organizing a mental list of movies based on comic books. So, I'm putting it down here in order to purge the obsession.

Here are My Top 5 Movies With Comic Book Origins:

Spider-Man 2: Terrific action, and lots of emerging adulthood-phase angst. The Spidey sequel captured perfectly the comic book feel.

X-Men: This 2000 movie did visually what comic book geeks have always wanted in a movie. I walked out of the theater after seeing X-Men completely satisfied.

Batman Begins: This Batman flick made the Tim Burton movies feel like Saturday morning animation. People who like their Batman without the yellow moon on the bat suit appreciated this movie for it's grit, accuracy and detail.

V For Vendetta: Based on comics from the 1980s, V for Vendetta seemed to hold a mirror up to modern day America, at least to me.

Sin City: When I read this series years ago, it caused my stomach to flop. So did the flick. Pound for pound, my pick for best movie adaptation of a comic, ever.

10 comments:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

What about the worst?

The Film Geek said...

I think Catwoman.

Yes, Catwoman...

JD Byrne said...

Supergirl. To quote MST3K - "deep hurting!"

The Film Geek said...

Forgot about Supergirl...hmmmm...

Nah, Catwoman.

Yes, Catwoman.

All Click said...

I think I have to totally agree with you on the top 5 list. Spiderman 2 blew me away...and I sat on the front row but the neck cramp was totally worth it.

I haven't seen Catwoman...but Ghost Rider was a little silly..and what about Hulk?

The Film Geek said...

The Hulk...sigh

I can forgive The Hulk because they at least tried for the special effects necessary for the beast. But Catwoman has nothing but a poor story and bad acting to blame.

Anonymous said...

It's not exactly based on a comic book, but I'd list American Splendor on the top of my list of favorite movies related to comic books. Or is it "grahpic novel?"

The Film Geek said...

Hi Angel, thanks for stopping by. And yes, I consider that a comic book. And it was a well done movie. Might have to reconsider my list.

Ian C. said...

Great list, TFG. The only addition I might consider making, after watching it again last night on FX, is "Hellboy." But 1) I don't know which movie it would replace on that list, and 2) "Hellboy" kind of falls apart toward the end.

The Film Geek said...

Thanks, Ian. And I liked "Hellboy" too, and did consider it for this list. As well as the original "Superman." But, the tech advancements of recent years make some of these other movies much more realistic than "Superman" was.