Thursday, May 31, 2007

Popcorn Cicadas

NBC Nightly News reminded me tonight that periodic cicadas will soon be on the loose and swarming across much of the country, and in West Virginia in particular.

Time to stock up on olive oil!

It was during the last cicada invasion that Mrs. Film Geek and I began a serious relationship and moved in together. The cicadas were thick in our region. She was horrified, I thought they were sorta cool.

Especially when I read that they can be cooked (in a variety of ways) and eaten.

One Saturday, while the future-Mrs.-Film-Geek was out of the house, I became bored and curious. So, I gathered up a couple dozen cicadas from the trees in front of our apartment and prepared them for deep frying. I pulled off the wings, dipped them in an egg batter, rolled them in seasoned flour and plunked them into a large vat of hot oil.


I was finishing off the last handful when she walked in the front door. I'll never forget the look on her face: it was a combination of horror and disgust, and a look I've seen only once or twice since.

And she married me anyway. Go figure.

While I liked the taste of the cicadas okay, my recipe was pretty basic and kinda bland. Here's one that's a bit more interesting, and probably much tastier.

If you try it, you gotta come back and tell me what you thought!

Cincinnati Cicada Stir Fry

2-4 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh ginger root, finely chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup chopped cauliflower and/or broccoli
1/4 cup water chestnuts, sliced
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup snow peas
1 cup blanched cicadas
naturally fermented soy sauce


Heat oil (or lard) in a wok or deep-sided frying pan. Add ingredients in the order listed above. When the most recent addition is partially cooked, add the next group of ingredients. Add soy sauce to taste. Serve over the rice of your choice.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

No no no! They were just here a few (okay, 8) years ago! I need more time. I hate those things!

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Weren't those on the menu at the Stonewall Jackson Inn?

Anonymous said...

The future Mrs. Film Geek promptly threw away her deep fryer.

The Film Geek said...

Rebecca:They haven't been here yet, I expect them in a week or two.

Chris:That dish was off the menu, but on a Tuesday night it was possible to get a mess with ramps.

Anonymous: Odd, how familiar you seem...And yes, the deep fryer was thrown out immediately afterwards. lol

Barbie Girl said...

Are those the creepy ass things that leave their shells everywhere? Savannah has found several and thinks they are the coolest things ever.

I know what I'm serving the Barbie family this weekend (or not).

primalscreamx said...

Like I needed another reason to consider becoming a vegetarian...

Unknown said...

That's, uh, wow.

Hope you used salt, you sick bastard.