Sunday, May 27, 2007

Rocky Balboa

Not as good as the original, but arguably better than all the rest.

Rocky Balboa can't be made, of course, without the set-up of the original. And This-Older-Rocky's perspective on life can only be appreciated within the context set up by the films that came before it. Despite that, Rocky Balboa stands apart from most of the other sequels for it's emotional depth and use of supporting characters. And Sly can still put together a terrific fight scene.


Here's how I know:

I watched the flick in the same room as Mrs. Film Geek, but she was working. Sitting far away from me and working hard doing what she does, she wasn't paying much attention to me or the movie. During the final third of the movie--the big fight scene--Rocky takes a first round beating before coming back in the second round. During that scene, as Rocky is mounting a dramatic comeback, I hear this from the periphery:

"Knock that motherfucker out!!"

Yep, Rocky Balboa is a terrific flick.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Great review. Love the comment from Mrs. Film Geek.

The Film Geek said...

Thanks Jim.

The only thing she was lacking was a good cigar. :)

Kelly said...

I'm shocked. What a sailor mouth from Mrs. Geek.

I have the Rocky movie, just haven't watched it. You've inspired me!

jedijawa said...

I don't think I've ever seen you drop the f-bomb on your blog before. Good for you! :-)