Saturday, September 29, 2007

Disturbia

I like Shia LaBeouf. He's a terrifically talented young actor, and has a huge future of substantial work ahead of him if he keeps his head on straight. Much was made about his movie Disturbia being a rip-off of Hitchcock's Rear Window. I've seen Jimmy Stewart movies. Jimmy Stewart movies helped shape my interest in flicks. At this point in his career LaBeouf is no Jimmy Stewart, nor is Disturbia no Real Window.

It might be better.


Look, I don't really mean that based on historical perspective. Window is a artistic masterpiece, while Disturbia is a slick, let's-make-a-star-outta-this-guy vehicle designed to separate dollars from tweeners. Let's be clear where I stand here.

But I watched Rear Window recently (again) and walked away this time with sort of a "eh, so what" feeling. Great plot, terrific acting for sure. But the pace can't fit today's industry. It can't satisfy a generation diagnosed with attention deficit.

One aspect of Disturbia I liked much better than Rear Window was getting to really know the villain. David Morse, as serial killer Robert Turner, was outstanding. I liked Morse as the good guy in St. Elsewhere back in the 80s so much, and now he scares me more and more with the career he's making out of playing the villain. Morse made this movie something better than a simple teen flick.

He made it a real movie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when you dig the flick I've just received in that red envelope.

The Film Geek said...

Let me know what you think after watching it, Hoyt. I wasn't sure...mid-way through, I realized I liked it despite myself.

Spike Nesmith said...

Interesting angle! Are the kids of today wrong for not enjoying the more masterful slower-paced movies, or are we wrong for not accepting that in cinema, pace evolves...?

I still go with the former, but I'm grumpier and more cynical than you.

;)

The Film Geek said...

We're a couplea Grumpy Old Men, Spike. I agree with you.