Sunday, September 23, 2007

Firehouse Dog

Dear Maddisen, Griffyn and Jaden:

One of the things I enjoy most about being a father is watching you children grow up. Each of you has made me proud so many times with your thoughtfulness, kindness and sincerity. Those personal characteristics help people become really cool adults, you know. You're already on the right path.

Although I enjoy seeing you grow up, I'm also sort of saddened by it. It used to be easy to spend time with you kids. I was in charge of the schedule, after all! It was the time-line kept by your mother and me that determined when we went here or there, when we cuddled on the couch while watching a movie or when we kicked a soccer ball around in the back yard.

Now? It's not so much my schedule as it is the three of yours.

Cheer-leading, dances, school events, gymnastics, birthday parties, pre-school activities, sports; all of it takes some precedence over spending quality time with me. And while I expect that--and even understand it--I'm still getting accustomed to it.

That's why, more than anything else, I enjoyed Firehouse Dog.

For the first time in a long, long time I realized all of us were in the house at the same time. No place to go, no plans to go anywhere. No work was on my schedule, the laundry was done and the house fairly clean.

The stars were aligned perfectly.


That you all answered: "Yes!!" so enthusiastically when I asked if you wanted to watch the flick together made me smile. That you watched it with me even when it became a bit boring made me happy. And when each of you asked in your own way if I liked the movie after it was over made me proud.

So, go on about your day and your schedule for now. I'm good for a while. But thanks. Especially for small moments like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um... how about a warning for posts like these, "Do NOT Read at the office if you're a mother who happens NOT to be wearing waterproof mascara!"

My little ones are all about Family Movie Night. Still, I'm amazed how quickly time has gone and I know it won't be long until I'm missing them.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

*sniffle*

The Film Geek said...

::Hands tissues, all around::

:)

Thanks for the comments. If you have kids, it goes way too fast, eh?

Anonymous said...

Great post!



Now, how about a new pic of your oldest son!

Kelly