Saturday, July 12, 2008

Count Your Blessings, Honey

Dear Kristy (AKA: "Mrs. Film Geek"),

Traveling alone for business isn't something that I enjoy, and I was so looking forward to you coming along with me to my conference in Orlando. I know you were looking forward to it, too. When it became certain I was going to central Florida, you spent hours on-line planning our trip here together. Where we would eat, where we would play and where we would stay.

Then you got a little sick, and I was forced to travel alone. While you recuperated, at home. With the kids.

Sick.

While I've been here this week, I realized that it is best that you didn't come with me. The place is just awful, and you wouldn't have any fun. Honestly, you wouldn't enjoy it. Really.

Here's why:


The hotel / convention center / spa where I'm staying this week is just too big to really enjoy. You and I really like smaller hotels, so we can have that intimate, community-like feel where we stay. This place is so very, very big--filled with malls, and shops and big restaurants--that it's just no fun.

I know you: you would hate it!

This is one of four atriums inside the compund. Four! That's way too much greenery. My allergies are acting up, so I'm snottin' and sneezin' and snortin'. Sure, the place is pretty. But being around me while I'm having these reactions would be awful! You'd have a terrible time if you were here.

You're lucky to be still at home.


The rooms are waaayy too small. You'd be miserable.

Trust me.

The pool area--at least this one, nearest my section of the compound--has water that's too cold! It's at best 68 degrees, and I know you prefer more lukewarm water for swimming and playing around in.

I'm so envious of you being at home. You have no idea how difficult this is for me.

I'll endeaver, of course, as always. Don't worry about me. It'll be difficult, but I'll perservere. Kiss the kids for me, tell them I'll be home soon and remind them how lucky they are to be there and not here.

Count your blessings, hon.

TFG

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just looks awful. I am so glad I didn't go. I had planned the trip for a year and I am just lucky that I ended up with a horrendous illness that forced me to send you to that sad, sad place by yourself. Hang in there. I am so sorry you had to go. Look on the bright side....you will be home Sunday and I saved all of the laundry for you so that you can feel right at home. Until then, I will just let the dishes, garbage and laundry pile up in your honor.

Anonymous said...

IS THIS PAID FOR BY TAXPAYERS. GO DEMOCRATS, LIVE IT WHILE IT LASTS. YOU BETTER VOTE FOR OBAMA SO YOU CAN STILL HAVE THESE PERKS.