Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fry' 'Em Up!

The Ramp Festival is always a lot of fun, and ramps themselves rock. Just ask Chris James, who recently devoted a week's worth of really great posts to the wild delicacy.

But everyone knows that it's adults who dig ramps the most, for the nostalgia as much as for the taste. Kids I know-- particularly teens who are of dating age-- don't often eat ramps because of the unpleasant odor that permeates every pore of one's being.

Which leads me to what I'm certain Ramp Festival Queen Caitlin Sharpe is thinking as this picture is being shot:


"Take the pic already, willya? This is as close to my mouth as it's gonna get!"

5 comments:

Buzzardbilly said...

Excellent post but I'm totally jealous and miffed because I really wanted to take Curmy to the Rampfest this year. We've never been. Next year...unless you know of other smaller rampy rampness to tell...

The Film Geek said...

I don't know of any other than the one in Richwood. I haven't been in years, either.

Gary Carden said...

The Cherokees always have a ramp festival, complete with trout and fry bread. There is also one in Waynesville, N. C. every year.

Jackie said...

Not Again!

Okay, I'm getting tired of you and CJ pulling the ol' "let's trick Jackie into thinking this post is about skateboard ramps" nonsense. I can only take so much abuse...

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Elkins has one, I think, as do most churches in Nicholas, Webster, Pocahontas, Braxton, & Randolph Counties.