Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Perfect Getaway

I used to be scared of traveling.

Although I had to do it quite a lot for work, I was a bit neurotic about traveling to far away places and hanging out with the locals. On a trip to San Diego in the early 90s I stayed in my hotel room between conference events and trips out for meals. Mrs. Film Geek--who loved to travel--was with me. She couldn't understand why I was scared to leave the room. I wasn't quite sure myself. I rationalized that it was my inexperience with travel as a youth that made me nervous about meeting strangers in strange locals.


But I was wrong.

A Perfect Getaway is the perfect illustration of my fears about travel. It's not a perfect movie, but it's an enjoyable popcorn flick with a terrific swerve.

I pretend to be better with travel now, but on the inside I'm still pretty fearful. Steve Zahn's flick didn't do much to alleviate that anxiety.

No comments: