Friday, June 04, 2010

Shrek: Forever After

Maybe more than the other kids, my daughter Griffyn loves to go to the movie theater. She doesn't go for the extra-large Coke or candy, and sometimes she isn't even that interested in the movie. She just digs the experience.

She gets it.

Hanging out at the movies with someone you care about while sharing laughs, chills and popcorn is a bonding experience greater than any movie.

When she reminded me last weekend that we'd planned to see Shrek: Forver After, I grimaced. I'd forgotten. Feeling--no, not "feeling," "being" is the right word--so behind with work and home responsibilities I'd placed seeing the fourth Shrek flick way down the list of priorities.

So far down it didn't really exist.

"But you promised," she said. And she was right. I did. So I slipped on some clean shorts and my summer sandles and hit Pullman Plaza theaters with kids in tow.

And I'm so glad I did.

Shrek: Forever And After was funny and well written. But most importantly, it reminded me that I sometimes get so caught up in things I think are important, I forget about the things that really are: family, relationships and living as much as possible in the moment.

Thanks, Shrek. And thanks, Griffyn. Now, pass the popcorn.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Amen!