Sunday, August 01, 2010

Inception

Despite the tremendous buzz around Inception, I was prepared to dismiss it as another special effects-dependent, gimmicky, summer action flick. I even anticipated making fun of the title by connecting it to Cajun Man, the 1990s SNL character developed by Adam Sandler:



My original commentary would have played off Cajun Man's extreme southern drawl. Descriptions of the flick would include words like:

"Per-feck-shaawn"
"Suh-spen-shaawn"
"Con-fu-shaawn"
"De-sept-shaawn"

I dunno...to me that's funny. Words tickle my brain.

Early in Inception, however, I stopped thinking of descriptions that Cajun Man could use and started paying attention to the plot. DiCaprio (who always seems able to command a movie with a minimalist performance) made me care for his character. A basic heist flick jacked up on Matrix-sized green screen, Inception is a 1,000 piece puzzle that becomes more fun to put together with each piece.

Christopher Nolan, who wrote and directed the movie, has another masterpiece added to his IMBd list.

No comments: