Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Hangover II

Look, I'm the first to admit that we shouldn't judge a sequel by the first generation flick that spawned it. It's seriously unfair; sequels, like any work of art, should be judged on its own merit.

But . . .

The producers of The Hangover II make it difficult not to compare it to the origional. The same cast is used, despite the near-impossible plotline that allow supporting cast members to be involved. The same comedic scenarios from the first movie that made me laugh until snot came out my nose was used in this re-tread: somebody jumped outta a locked container, surprising the audience and The Wolfpack; cars were destroyed by mobsters; the boys have a run-in with cops; something is stolen during the night of drunken-ness that must be returned the next day.

The same old same old can be funny, I suppose. But it really isn't good art. It's a rip-off, and an obvious one at that.

The Hangover II earned over $100 million dollars over Memorial Day weekend, including $20 cash money from my pocket.

I feel like I just bought a blue velvet Elvis painting from a road-side vender.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Not-So-Ex and I are right there with you. We went to see it and were really annoyed with it.