Monday, May 27, 2019

Gloria Bell

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.

I've grown tired of superhero movies. Of heavily used special effects, even the really great ones like in Black Panther and Avengers: Endgame.

I've secretly coveted a stripped down, character-driven movie that relies heavily on acting chops and which moves me emotionally. For some months now I've viewed the film industry with contempt as they've pumped out movie after movie designed to earn billions of dollars instead of producing personal works of art. I've participated in that machinery, even though I knew it was rotting my soul.

Forgive me, Father. I awaited premiers of blockbuster movies with lust and envy and pride. And I was wrong to become so consumed by the process.

Watching Gloria Bell reminded me of the substantial power that great acting in small movies can have on me. Watching Julianne Moore find herself-- to grow emotionally on screen--  as she interacts with co-star John Turturro was an inspiration.

It's a powerhouse performance, Father. The sort of performance that wins Oscars, even without seamless special effects and big box office receipts.

Forgive me Father, for I've sinned. But I've seen the light, I promise.

(At least until the July release of Spider-Man: Far From Home)


No comments: