Friday, November 27, 2020

Uncle Frank

 Written and directed by Alan Ball, Uncle Frank tells a poignant story of how one southern family is affected by homophobia in the early- to mid-20th century. 

It would be easy to presume the movie is about Frank, who escaped the bigotry of South Carolina to live somewhat happily as a college professor in New York City.  It would also be easy to think the movie is about Beth, a teen inspired by her uncle who grows into womanhood during the flick. 

It's not. 

Those characters are simply a means through which the audience gets to experience how guilt, rejection, and fear -- both real and imagined -- can influence relationships and life quality. 

Paul Bettany is wonderful as Frank, who is kind and thoughtful yet flawed. His double life -- he's one person at work in the big city, another with his family in his hometown -- is well managed until tragedy strikes and forces him to choose between the two lifestyles. Beth, played with great empathy by Sophia Lillis, serves to give the audience a front row view of the transformation. 

I was surprised to read several negative reviews of the film. It was called "stereotypical," and "cliched," by some. 

I disagree. 

Much of the behavior you'll see in Uncle Frank really exists. I know gay men who live a double life because they won't be accepted by their families if they live openly. I know people who use religion -- you know, that "hate the sin, love the sinner" nonsense -- to dehumanize and degrade those in same sex relationships. I know well intentioned yet naïve people who have narrow world views simply because their world is not very diverse. I was one of those people myself a lifetime ago. 

Most importantly, I know people who experience lifelong trauma because of, well, . . .  all that. 

Nah, I didn't see Uncle Frank as a stereotype. I found it real, tragic, and hopeful. 

(A note to my fellow West Virginians: There's a brief-but-cool mention of the "Mystery Hole" in the second act of the movie. Pay attention as Frank and Beth take a lunch break from their road trip to South Carolina. It's brief, but it made me smile.)





No comments: