I realize that not many outside the state of West Virginia care about this weekend's WVU/Marshall University football match-up. And I know that many in the state don't care a lick about it either. But, I do. And as the weekend nears, I need to talk about it.
Because I'm scared.
I'm going to the game, you see. And although I'm a Marshall alumnus, I've been to my share of Mountaineer games. Growing up anywhere north of Huntington's city limit line makes one pretty familiar with WVU football. I was in the stadium when Jeff Hostetler outplayed Doug Floutie, and when Major Harris and his crew beat Penn State. The Blue and Gold fans are loud, and passionate.
And mean. Really, really mean.
They really scared me when I was last there, in 1997. During that brief quarter-and-a-half when Marshall led WVU 31-28 (before losing, ultimately, in their first football meeting with WVU during The Industrial Age) I balanced my excitement about the potential win with my fear of getting out of Morgantown alive.
It was a valid fear. Trust me.
So, in the event something goes horribly wrong on Saturday, here are a few things I want made public. Just in case...
1. I intend to continue updating The Film Geek web log. If you notice that I have not updated this site by Monday afternoon, something has gone awry. Contact the police, quickly, and let them know that I am missing;
2. I would never--ever--write an entry that is complimentary of WVU, regardless of whether or not they win the contest this Saturday. If such a post appears, it is under duress. Again, please contact the appropriate authorities;
3. I'd like it on record that I currently possess all my limbs, fingers, toes and both eyes, and that all are typically shaped and function appropriately. Should I return otherwise, it is likely the work of the Blue and Gold Rogues Gallery;
4. If I end up arrested and in jail for assault, there is no doubt that I was not the aggressor, and that it was started by someone wearing a Pitt Sucks But Marshall Swallows T-shirt. Should I be arrested for public intoxication, however, ...Well, that one is probably on me;
5. Mrs. Film Geek is going to the game with me. Should she not return, it wasn't my fault she went missing. Honest. It must have been those damn Mountaineers...