Friday, December 08, 2006

Film Geek

I am nothing--and this is my hand, to God--like Scotty Pelk, the main character in James Westby's supposedly semi-autobiographical movie, Film Geek.

I finally had a chance to see the flick which, Sitemeter reported, was one of the biggest referral sources to this blog last Spring. In fact, some folks who regularly visit The Film Geek do so because they found it first while searching for Scotty Pelk.

I'm not sure why...


I mean, first of all, I'm much more attractive than this guy. Clearly.

If you don't believe it, find my picture on the web and see for yourself. Yep, I'm so confident in my hunk-dom, I've passed my mug all over the 'net for months. It's not as widespread as Britney's panty-less limo exits, but it's worth the search, baby.

But, my looks are not only what separates me from this loser. Scotty Pelk has no social life, and fills up that personal wasteland with film trivia and savant-like ruminations of odd movie facts. He even goes on irrelevant tangents about movies while engaged in conversation with other people.

(By the way, I've been reading a lot lately about the new Leonardo DiCaprio movie, Blood Diamond, and pondering DiCaprio's chances at an Oscar. Two meaty roles at the end of the calendar year often plunges actors into the Best Actor category. Watch for it!)

I was saying...

Sure, I like a good movie as much as the next guy, and I do recall a lot of useless trivia about them. But, my interests are far broader and much more functional than that goofball Pelk's.

Ask me anything about comic books or professional wrestling, and watch the conversation flow.

Pelk is so geeky and socially awkward that he can't hold onto jobs. That so isn't me...I've been steadily employed for 23 years! They even gave me my own, private office. It's at the end of the hall, near the copy machine. It's far away from co-workers, just the way I like it, so I don't have to listen to all the blah blah blah-- you know, all that stuff no one really cares about, but pretends to.

Isn't it neat how things like that seem to just work out?

And although I'm sort of far removed from co-workers in my own private Shangra-La-Office, I'm not so far away I can't trot down the hallway during break time and talk up some movies with Helen, Bob or Tom. I bet we do that eight or ten times a day!

Pelk also spends a lot of time on his website, which is devoted to film and film information. He writes reviews about movies, essays abut movies and makes unusual and obscure personal connections between movies and his day-to-day life.

What a loser!

Truth be told, I didn't care much for Film Geek. It was just too--unrealistic, I think is the right word here--to be believable.

Have a nice weekend! Gotta take off and check my Sitemeter!

3 comments:

larryosaurus said...

Wait a minute...you're not James Westby?!? I'm outta here.

eclectic guy said...

didnt believe it for a minute

The Film Geek said...

Hey Jackie! But I'm COOLER than Wesby! Honest!!

Stop by this weekend, and give me a hand re-alphabetizing my DVD collection. It should be fun.