Friday, January 12, 2007

Turn The Page

I drove a little too fast to the school, I admit. I was excited! All week I had been looking forward to reading to my daughter's kindergarten class. Griffyn was excited too, she said, as long as I behaved myself and didn't embarrass her.

Me?

I've been known to do it, I suppose. But not today. Not to her. I needed to pull this 20 minutes off with flair, but temper it with something that at least appeared like adult behavior.

I went over the rules in my head as I drove, the things that I shouldn't do so as not to upset her:
No profanity, or language that might be misconstrued as such;

No references to smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol (before, during or after the story);

No calling any of the kids "Hey, Bud;"


No telling stories about spending a night in jail.


I pulled up to the school at just the right time, and scampered inside. I was so excited.

The kids seemed a little distracted as they were herded into the room. But they sat down politely, and listened as I read. I tried to get them involved in the story, and a couple of kids seemed eager to participate.

And Griffyn couldn't stop smiling! At least for 20 minutes, her Dad was a rock star.

But still, there was something odd about the vibe in the air. Something unspoken, like it feels when you ask a girl on a date and she meets you there with her best friend. Awkward, and quietly uncomfortable.

I shrugged it off, though, and gave Griffyn a hug as I headed for the door. The teacher thanked me, and I waved to the kids as I left the room. I paused briefly just outside the door to search my pockets for my car keys, and overheard:

Teacher: "OK, kids. Are you ready to go finish watching High School Musical?"

Kids: [with dramatic enthusiasm] "YES!!!!!"

...I so can't wait for the next Parent/Teacher conference.


7 comments:

larryosaurus said...

Great post Film Geek!
And big props for reading to the class!

That being said, a kindergarten class watching High School Musical?! Ridiculous!
The fact that most public schools today have "TV watchin' time" really makes me furious, but for Gods sake at least have the decency to let them watch something age-appropriate!!!

As you can tell, this is a sensitive subject around the Lantern Household.. :)

The Film Geek said...

Hey Jackie, and thanks.

While most of the post was a tongue-in-cheek reflection on my goofiness, the comment about the parent/teacher conference was not. Like you, I was bothered not only by the fact that they were watching TV, but also because the show seems to be for 12 year olds.

You're right. It was ridiculous.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

High School Musical!?!? Holy crap! I haven't seen it, but it doesn't sound educational, much less age-appropriate!

I admit, I work movies into my class time on half days and other times when we really don't have time to do a real art project (or if the kids are just really needing a break) but I at least try to make it educational. I recently showed Wallace and Gromit in "The Wrong Pants" and gave a brief demonstration about stop-motion animation. The point really was just to watch a movie so I could finish grades, but geez... you gotta at least make it look relevant!

Unknown said...

LMAO.

No calling the kids "Hey, Bud."

That made me laugh, 'cause I do that all the time to pretty much everybody!

Barbie Girl said...

For the record, you are way cooler than Zac Ephron.

Kelly said...

Just wondering...were there any "sweet Jesus" comments?

Unknown said...

Too funny...