Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Wonder How Much Will This Stamp Will Cost?

Dear God:

It's been a long while since we last spoke. That's my fault, really, and I'm sorry. I've just been caught up in life stuff, you know? One thing after another. But, I reckon you do know.


The grand design is yours, after all.

I'm writing today about Pat Robertson, that 700 Club guy. I'm not sure if you've kept up with him during the last few years, but he's putting your name out there left and right, tacking fear to it in what looks like attempts to scare people into following you. Or maybe to keep himself in the spotlight, which brings him more money. (Or maybe both. After all, if he scares folks into following you, they might send him more cash.)


Anyway, the guy is out of hand.

Last year Robertson said a tsunami would hit the U.S. in 2006, and that it would kill lots of people. Before that he blamed you for causing the stroke of Israeli Prime Minster Ariel Sharon. Now, he's predicting that terrorists will attack America in 2007, and the result will be "mass killings." In case you don't read the papers, here is his latest.


Here's the kicker: He says you told him all this.

Now, I may be out of place trying to tell you how to run your business. (Although if you are inclined to take polite suggestions, we could use a tad more peace across the globe these days.) If you are talking to Robertson though, there may be some things of which you are unaware: First, he's not always quoting you directly, and that sometimes causes confusion. For example, he said this of your most recent game of "grapevine":

"I'm not necessarily saying it's going to be nuclear. The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that."

Secondly, using Robertson as a mouthpiece may not be best for your public image. Most folks view him as a snake-oil salesman. A carny, barking out anything to get people to come to his booth and put down a quarter. Sure, people give the guy millions every year . But you have to ask yourself if you want to be associated with that type of image. Maybe it's time to find a new prophet.

I think it is.

Letting Robertson speak for you only serves to water down faith in you. And some of us--OK, me--struggle heavily with faith. I've just gotten to the point where I actually have some. Keep letting Robertson deliver your mail and the small amount I've been able to nurture these last few years may die out.

If you aren't giving Robertson some inside scoop, then I apologize for my remarks. If, though, you are feeding him the occasional inside tip, I hope you'll consider telling the guy to put a sock in it.


He's doing nobody any favors.


Sincerely,

The Film Geek



25 comments:

moneytastesbad said...

Fantastic Post!!! If you don't mind, I am going to repost some of that. Of course, I will link to you for the full thing.

So let me know if you don't mind being quoted on TFHARR

moneytastesbad said...

After all I do need some actual content besides all of those half naked chicks.

The Film Geek said...

Hey MTB: Thanks for the comments. You can re-post what you want, half-naked chicks and all. (I'll just have to wait until I get home to see how you added it!)

Anonymous said...

Dear Film Geek,

Please ignore my misguided child, Pat. That's what I do.

God

Anonymous said...

Film Geek, I heard this on NPR this morning, and Robertson's insipid remarks had really bothered me until I read your post. Thanks for making my day!

The Film Geek said...

Glad it helped, Hoyt! It's all about context, isn't it?

And God: Hiya, and thanks for stopping by.

JD Byrne said...

Dear Pat,

Zappa was right - Jesus thinks you're a jerk. Please go away.

Sincerely,
The Human Race

jedijawa said...

Jesus what a nut. I thought God only spoke with the President.

Anonymous said...

Remember years ago when Oral Roberts locked himself in his tower and claimed that God told him that God was going to take him if Oral didn't raise $50 million?........I was rooting for God.

jedijawa said...

Speaking of stamps...did you see that the Prez thinks that he can just read your mail because he says so?

Anonymous said...

liberal idiots.

The Film Geek said...

Anonymous: I re-read the comments (and my post) again, and I just can't find any language that suggests which political party wing I or the people who commented are under. What I read are comments from people who are disgusted with a snake-oil salesman who uses fear and anger to make a buck.

What's that have to do with politics?

That said, I will admit to being a liberal. And although I'm not that bright, I doubt I'm an idiot. I think I'm at least aware enough to recognize a sham when I see one. And, secure enough in my beliefs to avoid anonymous name calling on blogs.

It's a tactic that just doesn't work well, Anonymous.

Christopher Scott Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Film Geek said...

Hey Chris: I'm very much interested in the subtle nature of the rhetoric, and how that plays into opinions formed by the average citizen. For example, the Hannity and Colms show on Fox has recently had the placard "The San Francisco Speaker" under any vidoe that highlights Pelosi. That is clearly a subtle--or not so subtle, maybe--link to a location that has a reputation as a very liberal place. While the stories are often puff pieces with broad themes, that placard sure does give a slant to how the channel wants her to be viewed.

Quick: What town was the previous speaker from?

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Pat speaks for all of us, but he also speaks for God. Hmm... Kind of makes me wonder if he really has anything at all genuine to say.

BoingBoing has some fun Pat Robertson links. Look here! (I must have the Pat Robertson coloring book!)

Christopher Scott Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher Scott Jones said...

Note:This is from the "comment deleted" a couple of spaces up. I found a typo :)

While there are alot of bright Tories out there like PJ O'Rourke, Tucker Carlson, Lindsey Graham, and Don Surber and a ton of liberal morons floating around (half of the people that I went to grad school with), it seems that comments like "liberal idiot" has been the discourse coming from the right over the past several years and has hurt the conservative movement (ie small, less-intrusive government) greatly.

It got some good traction there for a while, but the dismissive nature of the right's rhetoric (one of my friends once summed up 20 years of Limbaughisms with "those, those, those liberals")almost convinced America to elect an emotionless liberal senator/robot from Taxachusetts president in the middle of a war (any one of those factors alone would make election unlikely, much less when combined).

Now it has gotten (sacrasm alert) Nancy Pelosi one pretzel and one coronary away from hanging a Grateful Dead poster in the Oval Office.

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Heh...Maybe I need to put more than one "sacrasm alert" in future posts.

The Film Geek said...

Hey Chris: I once deleted three comments in a row on Jackie's blog because I kept making the same typo! I'm a terrible speller, and an even worse proof reader. After that, I just gave up.

I didn't mean my earlier comment about the new Speaker to be a rebuttle against your comment. I got the sarcasm. It just teminded me of the Fox thing I noticed a night or two earlier.

jedijawa said...

The real problem with Fox News and most other pundits is that they are just too fucking smug. I think that this has really lowered the level of political discourse into one big challenge to dismiss the other side as being utterly irrelevant and superfluous. This isn't where great debate comes into play. It just promotes a feeling of contempt and avarice toward grabbing power. I hate that.

Good discussions here though. Now go post something else Film Geek! I'm having to post reviews over on my blog now cause your slackin' boy. ;-)

The Film Geek said...

Sometimes, Jedi, a guy's just gotta take a pause...:)

jedijawa said...

But Marc, I need your insight on how to view and cope with the ongoing fued between Donald and Rosie ... and now apparently Walters as well! I know you watch that crap so you have to act as my filter so that I don't have to watch it. I need you to take one for the team buddy! :-)

BTW, here is more Pelosi news. I know you're interested. I liked this one! It is so nice to be living in a state that is entirely smoke-free now ... at least I'll be here for a little while longer.

The Film Geek said...

I feel ya, Jedi. And yep, I'm keeping tabs on Rosie vs. The Donald: The Battle of Misfits. But, the best pause is a pause when there IS stuff going on. Pausing when you have nothing to comment on is simply inactivity.

jedijawa said...

I should have known you'd find some philosophical hook to keep me from seeing another "make it stop" post! ;-)

Unknown said...

liberal idiots....

....oh wait, that was already said! LOL.

JUST KIDDING!