Monday, May 21, 2007

Dreamgirls

My friend who writes Donutbuzz talks often of how we humans seem drawn more to style than to substance. And I think he's dead-on right, particularly regarding how we appreciate and consume art.

Quick: Shania Twain or Faith Hill?

Whatdidya think of first: Knock-out looks, or the opening lyrics of their most popular songs?

Dreamgirls proves this style-over-substance theory better than any movie I've seen in years. Adapted from an 80's play that followed the evolution of Motown Records (and, more specifically, the rise of Motown's biggest early act, The Supremes), Dreamgirls provides an insider's view of how the incredibly-talented-but-portly Effi (Jennifer Hudson) is given the boot out of the limelight in favor or mildly-talented-but-hot-as-hell Deena (Beyonce Knowles). The story touches on Effi's recovery from the slight, Deena's descent into despair as she begins to figure out her success has more to do with marketing her look than it does her talent and Curtis (Jaime Foxx), the manager of both who recognizes the public is just fine being force-fed style instead of substance, and that he can make a bundle of money giving us just that.

Jennifer Hudson won a couple of important awards for her role, but I went into the movie skeptical that this first time movie actress could deliver the goods as advertised. I was shocked: Hudson's performance--both singing and speaking--was simply brilliant. Eddie Murphy, too, was very good, although during his most intense musical performance I kept expecting his roadies to come from backstage and wrap that James Brown cape on him just before he collapsed from exhaustion.

The only complaint I had about Dreamgirls is something inherent in musicals: I hate dialogue that is sung! Hate it. Still, it was done so well in the flick that I tolerated it.

9 comments:

larryosaurus said...

Ha! You watched a musical!
Sounds like The Film Geek is gettin' old.... or something :D

The Film Geek said...

You are correct, sir! The "or something" is a powerful motivator!

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Do you think that Murphy was screwed out of the Oscar because of Norbit?

Anonymous said...

I received Dreamgirls in the mail over a week ago, and it took me several sittings to finish watching it. The movie...just...never...
seemed...to...end. I finally finished it on Saturday, then popped in 28 Days, which was over much too fast. I guess you could say that I prefer zombies over musicals.

Still, your review is dead-on, and Jennifer Hudson deserves her award. I also loved the "rap" by Murphy's character, which was probably worth enduring the first hour and a half.

The Film Geek said...

Chris: Norbit and Daddy Day Care and that gawd-awful Pluto something-or-other flick. He was terrific in this movie, but not so terrific to overcome that resume.

Hoyt: I hear ya, brotha. It was a powerful motivator!

Barbie Girl said...

So what you are saying is the next time we have a conversation I should not sing what I am saying?

I was totally just singing that sentence.

I haven't seen the movie and for some reason, I have no desire to. Maybe for the whole musical thing? Who knows.

Unknown said...

Ugg. I've always hated sung dialogue, too, Film Geek. But then I saw the few Buffy the Vampire Slayer "musical" episodes (as cheesy as that sounds) and it cleared me right up! Maybe you need a little Buffy in your system!

The Film Geek said...

[Stroking chin thoughtfully]

Yep, Suzy, that may be exactly what I need to change my mind!

I know what you mean...sometimes cheesy is fun, eh?

jedijawa said...

Hmmm...so not a fan of musical theater.