Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Want Me To Hold That Ice Cream For You?

Many of the memories I have of my maternal Grandfather involve food. Not the put-on-your-Sunday-best-and-share-a-meal type of food memory, but rather the "does this place have curb service?" sort of eating.

"Want me to hold that ice cream for you?" he'd ask, after noticing the scoop was dripping down the cone, or that I needed two hands to do something at the moment.

"Sure, thanks," I'd say, knowing full well what was about to happen. I always got the cone back, but carrying a little less ice cream.

My grandpa sure loved greasy spoons. I have faint memories of struggling to climb atop an orange counter chair at a Nicholas County pharmacy (one that burned down a generation ago) to eat the cheeseburger he'd ordered for me, and drink a soda from a real soda fountain. I have clearer memories of eating at the Big Rock and Stonewall Jackson inns in the 70s, where he would pass the time waiting on curb service by ogling chicks and singing gospel hymns.


Some of the songs were off key, but I liked them anyway. He was delightfully eccentric, which made him incredibly interesting.

Photo by Chris Dorst


Although he died in the late 80's, I still think about him most days.




More than usual today, however, after reading a story in the Gazette about The Burger Carte, located in Smithers, West Virginia.

Trips through Smithers with my grandpa--which always included a stop at The Burger Carte--felt like such an adventure. It was so far from home, it made me feel almost cosmopolitan.

Sophisticated, even.

I haven't eaten a Carte Wheel burger since the mid-70's, but I might have to make the trip soon.

I miss the old guy that much.

3 comments:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

The Stonewall Jackson made the best fried chicken ever, for what it is worth.

I once struggled to tell this to an African Americcan gentleman in Charleston that asked me about the best place to eat in Summersville (he was going to be there on business). Thank God I was only 13 or he probably would have punched me out.

Stanton said...

The Burger Carte has great hot dogs, too.
http://wvhotdogs.com/burgercart.html

The Film Geek said...

Chris: It was a terrific place that, I think, just got lost when the traffic was routed to 19. McDonalds and Taco Bell won out.

Stanton: Yep, I think I've had a foot long there too. (Nice review, by the way.) It's a cool, cool place.