Saturday, July 07, 2007

Jackpot

Today's date will be talked about, ad nauseum. Including here, of course.

"It's God's number," my grandmother used to say. I never understood why if there is a God, it would be so enamoured with the number seven.


Why not 3? Or 9?

But something about that superstitious belief made sense to me. I have an odd obsession with the number seven: during times of stress I often tap my wedding ring seven times, and I count steps in multiples of seven as I walk. During a basketball game in junior high I once was unable to attempt a foul shot until I dribbled the ball seven times on top of the charity stripe.

(Both shots were perfect swishes, though, so it must have worked.)

But, I've never figured out why. What's so special about 7 ?

Well, ... Se7en is one of my favorite movies.

And today, 7/7/07, is the birthday of one of my best friends. Happy birthday, Cara. I'll think of you as I walk around my living room counting steps and tapping my ring.


Not quite as thoughtful as office supplies, but just as useful.

5 comments:

El Cabrero said...

Speaking of numbers, move six spaces at the left of 27...

The Film Geek said...

Heh! I'll go ask Rita, and...

El Cabrero said...

I go get some and Madonna...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out on my bday! FYI...it was nothing special. Just a regular old birthday with rubber band necklaces and paperclip earrings.
-Cara

Barbie Girl said...

Seven is the best movie! It was after that movie that asshat proclaimed I was never again allowed to pick out a movie. Whatever.