Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Hitcher

The Hitcher is a perfect example of why I have such angst regarding how fast I'm growing old.

I saw the original version of the movie in 1986, in the theater. Along with a friend who is a horror/slasher film fanatic, I peeked through my fingers at Rutger Hauer's portrayal of a bottomed-out serial killer who wants to die. The flick creeped us out so much that today, when I run into my friend, we end up talking about that movie.

It's been 21 years!!

And I remember it like it was last month. Where has the time gone? And now it's been remade?!? Remakes--although I'm against them generally, because movies should stand on their own like like any work of art--should be for really old movies. You know, the black-and-white kind a generation before me used to watch.

21 years...

The remade Hitcher takes some pretty dramatic liberties with the original story, but overall it's the same serial-killer-slasher-thriller you loved from the 80s. It's not as good as the original--the stars are pretty forgettable-- but it's not a bad flick if you have no reference for how terrific Hauer was in the lead role.

Even though it's not a terrible movie, skip it and rent the original. You'll be less disappointed.

1 comment:

Barbie Girl said...

Wasn't Pony Boy (aka C. Thomas Howell) in the original??? I loved that movie. It actually scared me a bit.