Monday, July 09, 2007

Ratatouille

There were a couple of reasons I was really eager to see Ratatouille:

First, the Disney folks were pimping the hell outta the movie a couple weeks ago when I was there. It seemed the guy in the big rat costume was everywhere I turned. I saw more of the Little Chef at the different Disney parks than I did his smaller and cuddlier counterpart, Mickey.

Secondly?

I just love me some animated movies!

And Ratatouille didn't disappoint. The Pixar computer-generated animation was so breathtaking I was in awe for the first ten minutes or so. (This may also be the effect of the theater I saw the movie in using new digital projectors, and this was the first flick I've seen with the new technology.) The depth and detail of the movie was simply brilliant.

While the story was not as brilliant--it seems a little long in some parts--it was still entertaining. Little Chef is a rat who has the desire to be a chef. He teams up with a kid who is searching for his own path in life, and together they help each other accomplish their goals. It's a nice story with a fine message for kids.

It's just about 20 minutes too long...

That said, see Ratatouille in the theater, especially a theater that uses digital projection. It really is a remarkable visual film.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No reviews from the kids?? -Cara

The Film Geek said...

Hey Cara: Recovered from the birthday hangover, I see. :)

No review from the kids. I figured I'd worn out that bit by now.

When asked, Griffyn did say she thought it was " Rat Patootie," but I think she thought that was a compliment.

jedijawa said...

I thought it was better than expected too!