Friday, September 07, 2007

Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy

She pulled the car door closed, pushed a couple buttons on my CD player as she said: "Mind if I switch the station to WKEE?" 11-year-olds are funny that way; most seem to shy away from the kinds of things I like to listen to in the car. Things like blood-boiling, political-focused, debate-themed talk radion, and the cool Lucero disc a friend mixed for me, with which I'm currently obsessed.

"Sure, go ahead. It's fine. As long as you turn it up." Bubble-gum pop or rock 'n roll, we turn our music up loud in The Film Geek's Off-To-School caravan.

A couple of miles before we arrived at the school I was singing at the top of my lungs:


Now that it's raining more than ever
Know that we'll still have each other
You can stand under my arm, Barella
You can stand under my arm, Barella
Ella, ella eh eh eh
Ella, ella eh eh eh



"Why are you saying 'Barella'?" she asked politely. "Duh!" I thought. But it came out: "I guess 'cause that's the name of the person in the song."

She smiled too knowingly for a pre-teen. "It's umbrella. Umbrella. Not 'under my arm, Barella."

Oh...

Well, it should be. The song would be more intereting.

3 comments:

cat said...

Oh snap. But perhaps from you getting schooled could come clarity and knowing for us all. Can you please put on Louie Louie by the Kingsmen next time she's in the car? Maybe she can use her special skillz to figure out what the hell they are saying.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Hahahahaaa!!! Olivia loves that song! It's infectious. I want to hate it, especially after having to suffer through it over and over and over and... but it's got a certain fun quality to it.

Nothing's funnier than a room full of high school art students singing and head-bobbing along when that song comes on the radio.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

You know, after thinking about your version of the lyrics, that would make a fun commercial for Barilla pasta.