Saturday, September 08, 2007

I Got A Herd On!

Well?

I do!

My favorite Marshall University football game ever took place in the late 90's, and is the big win over Clemson University. It ruined Coach Tommy Bowden's first game as the Tigers' head coach, and established Chad Pennington as a college football superstar.

It was a great game. But, most of the fun I had that weekend was on the bus ride to the game. Drunk by the time we hit the Tennessee border, the Loud Guy In The Back (doesn't every travel bus to an away game have one?) was really entertaining. Once, on a dare, he formed his tongue into a concave shape, filled the middle with whisky and lit it with a match.

Sure, he was a jacknut. But he was a lovable jacknut.

During the trip he kept singing, in a loud and rhythmic cadence: "I got a herd on!" I loved it! And I couldn't get it out of my head. It was a catchy line, and it was funny. I said it several dozen times on the trip myownself.

Since then, I've been censored. Mrs. Film Geek hates the phrase, and says it's too risque to be said in polite company.

Well, the Mountaineers ain't polite company. So, be ready to hear it, you blue-and-gold jacknuts. All day long! Even if (or when) the Marshall football team is losing by double digits, I'll be the guy dressed in green chanting it out.

I got a herd on!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are blue and "yellow" jacknuts- not blue and gold.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm here listening to the game, and I have to say I wish I could be there!

The Film Geek said...

Hiya Anonymous: :)

Hoyt: Yep, I wish you were too. It was a good game and a good time, despite the final score.

larryosaurus said...

Herd-on?!?! You disgust me.

Christopher Scott Jones said...

God, I wish that movie had been called Who's Got A Herd On?....