Monday, February 22, 2010

Land Of The Lost

My God, how I avoided Land Of The Lost.

So many times Netflix pushed it to the top of my que, and I moved it back. Time after time Mrs. Film Geek suggested we rent it on View on Demand, and I talked her out of it. Even my kids asked to see it several times these past few months. I spanked them each time, and put them to bed without supper.

Today, I could avoid it no longer. And, God help me, I loved it.

I avoided this movie mostly because I loved the 70s show by Sid and Marty Krofft. The show was important to my childhood, and I didn't want a re-make fucking up the good memories I have of that time. Plus, the movie was a colossal failure at the box office: no one liked it, and few people saw it.

But, it's worth seeing. The base humor of the script is laugh out loud funny. Watching Will Ferrell's Rick Marshall describe how he will cook and eat Chaka if necessary is really funny, as is the scene where Chaka gets Marshall and Will stoned on a fruit narcotic.

Come to think of it, Chaka's character is by far the best part of Land Of The Lost. Danny McBride is as good as he is in all the stuff he's done lately, and Anna Friel is fine as Holly. One of my favorite scenes is early in the movie, just after the group find themselves in the alternate reality. Holly rips off the leg portion of her corduroy pants, turning them into shorts. I laughed, because during the 70s I always wondered why Kathy Coleman--"Holly" in the TV series--never did that.

Land Of The Lost isn't a great movie, but it's nowhere near as bad as advertised. I get it. Bet you will too.

4 comments:

Paul said...

I've been avoiding it for the same reason you did. Guess I'll have to give it a chance now.

The Film Geek said...

Ebert liked it too, Paul. I read his review last evening, and he gave it three stars. It's stupid, but not the movie I thought it would be.

HG said...

If I'm ever stuck in an airport and/or doctor's office, I would totally watch this movie. For now, though, I'm going to stick to watching "Lost" reruns. :)

All Click said...

I loved discovering the original show earlier last year and so was kinda excited to see what the movie was like...full well knowing it would bare some remote resemblance to the actual show.

Chucka was great in the movie and Will was his usual self. I have to say that I didn't hate it!