Sunday, February 21, 2010

Percy Jackson And the Olympians

"Grab your coats, it's movie time!"

That line always gets the kids moving. Seeing flicks together is something we enjoy doing, whether the movie is a good one or not. And with Mrs. Film Geek out of town for the weekend, watching a flick is a good way for me to avoid housework.


Percy Jackson And The Something-Or-Others fit the bill.

"Nah, I'm not gonna go," my 13-year-old said. Maddisen had just awakened, even though it was nearly noon. " It's not a movie I want to see."

"I know," I replied. "But it will be fun to go anyway. Going to the movies is about the popcorn and soda, the together time for family and getting out of the house as much as it is for the movie. You know that."

She rolled her eyes. "Jeez...I went to see The Tooth Fairy. Isn't that good enough?"

It was that moment I realized I'd lost. Not the argument. Not my authority. Nope, my loss was the childhood innocence and enthusiasm Maddi used to demonstrate so easily. It had been replaced by self-involvement and a preference teens have for isolation.

So I left her. My other children had fun. The popcorn and the soda, the together time for most of the family and the getting out of the house were all good. The movie was better than I expected.

But something was missing. . .

1 comment:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

So do you think that Ron & Hermione will hook up in the next movie?

Huh, wrong book? Oh well.