Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3 is a wonderful coming of age story that blends perfectly the joy and sadness of growing into adulthood. The Pixar-Disney collaboration, along with the direction of Lee Unkrich, produced a classic film that provides a perfeect ending to the revered trilogy. This isn't just an amazing animated 3-D kids flick; Toy Story 3 is emotionally moving, well-written and designed to be intimately personal to the viewer.

Who hasn't struggled with an uncomfortable transition in life? That awkward, wish-I-had-a-roadmap-to-tell-me-what-to-do move from the innocence of childhood to the responsibilities of being an adult.

That's what Toy Story 3 captures incredibly well.




Whether you think adults should put their toys away or, like me, you find a place in your home and office to display them, growing older comes with a price: adults have responsibilities and can't live forever in the imaginary playground of our youth.


But that doesn't mean the playground, along with the wonderful memories it created, can't be loved, appreciated and reflected upon.



At the end of the viewing I attended, there were few dry eyes in the audience. Folks sat through the credits in the dark, hoping their tears would dry before the lights came up. The tears weren't tears of sadness; instead, they came from understanding what it's like to be in the place Andy was, emotionally.

How can I be sure?

I was crying the most.

1 comment:

LisaY said...

I cried too, mostly because I am not looking forward to the day I look in my kids bedrooms and cry because they will be moving out! This movie was so good, but my favorite thing about the movie was the way Lotso's accent! Classic!