Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fracture

The interview lunch was going really well, and we were mid-way through dessert when the Executive Director asked:

"So, tell me something about you that's not typical interview talk. Like a hobby you have, something you do for fun that you wouldn't bring up in most interview sessions."

Just for a second I froze. She seemed like a nice enough lady, and came across as pretty genuine. I was reasonably sure I was gonna get the job, as long as I could get through dessert without a major faux pas. But there was only one real answer to her question: If I answered honestly, it could all go horribly wrong.

I took another bite of cake, and a long drink of coffee. What the hell.

"I'm a bit preoccupied right now with finding the perfect hiding place for dead bodies."

"Excuse me?" She giggled, which was a good sign.

"Yeah, hiding dead bodies. It's been an obsession of mine since I was a teen. If you read a lot of crime novels and stories, murderers are often arrested after dead bodies are discovered in shallow graves, or floating in a river or in someone's basement. If they had just taken some time prior to the murder to plan where they would hide the bodies, more criminals would get away with murder. I recognize a great hiding place when I see it, and I keep a mental list of the best places."

"Where is the best place on your list?" she asked. They always do. And I told her. She responded like most others do, too, with "I never thought of that!"

I even got the job.

I think many folks think they could pull off the perfect crime. Folks who are highly analytical and approach life in a logical, methodical manner always seem to think they could get it done.

Just like Anthony Hopkins' character in Fracture.

After Ted Crawford (Hopkins) discovers his wife is having an affair, he decides to murder her and destroy the life of her boy toy in the process. Crawford puts in motion a plan that is beautiful in it's simplicity, and extremely effective. After being arrested for her murder, Crawford begins a series of events that are carefully crafted to help him beat the rap. Ryan Gosling is the prosecuting attorney who tries to put Crawford away.

The acting of Gosling and Hopkins is above average. The rest of Fracture, though, never delivers. There is an unnecessary love interest for Gosling, no true thriller-type drama and the ending is anti-climatic. Skip this one, unless you are an obsessed fan of Gosling or Hopkins.

(And if you are, you already know where the best place to hide bodies is.)

4 comments:

Stanton said...

An instant classic TFG post. Great story and great review.

larryosaurus said...

You know, I've never considered being honest on a job interview The. Now you've inspired me!

Great post once again!

The Film Geek said...

Thanks, Stanton and Jackie. :)

the laughing gypsy said...

Where IS the best place to hide dead bodies?