Monday, September 10, 2007

Thanks, Ms. Suiter

Like lots of other folks, one of the most important influences in my life was an elementary school teacher. I don't think Ms. Suiter knew the effect she had on the way I perceive life; even at this age, though, I'm reminded of how she made me see the world from various perspectives.

5th grade Music Class at Zela Elementary in Nicholas County circa 1975 was unusual. Walk in unexpectedly, and you may have seen Ms. Suiter's students on floor mats, listening to classical music while practicing yoga. On other days, the music might be turned lower while she taught us relaxing imagery techniques. Those classes were annoying to some of the kids, but some--including me--really looked forward to them. It was different: fun, and creative.

My favorite of Ms. Suiter's teaching techniques involved writing exercises about music. She had us listen to classic rock albums of the era--Pet Sounds, by the Beach Boys, and the Beatles Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band, for example--and write essays about what the lyrics meant to us. I was fascinated by the lyrics, particularly on those albums. To this day, the lyrics of a song are more important to me than any other of it's aspects. In fact, sometimes I don't even recognize what primary instrument is being used in a song, such is my focus on the words.

Although I enjoy listening to music in this way, I know other's don't. Mrs. Film Geek, for example, enjoys music for almost the opposite reason that I do. She values the beat and the music more than the words. And I know others do too. That's why I'm always distressed at the idea of making a mix tape (or these days, a mix CD) for someone.

100% of the time, a tape mixed by me is gonna be depressing.

So, when
Scarlet proposed to the folks at the WV Bloggers Message Board that we participate in a mix tape swap, I was nervous. First, I have such limited knowledge of music. Aside from classical rock and some current rock bands that I love--Pearl Jam, Green Day, Counting Crows, for example--I got nothing when it comes to music knowledge. And some of those guys and gals on the board know their stuff! Secondly, while I have a pretty large CD collection, it's made up of probably just a dozen artists or so. Having every album put out by Neil Young, the Eagles, Pearl Jam, REM and others will fill up a few CD cases, but it's not the most eclectic collection going. I took a pull from the swap's name hat anyway, and drew Rebecca, from Carpe You Some Diem.

An art teacher. And, someone I've pegged already as a music buff. Just my luck...

A day or two of stress later, I got the guts to make the tape. I figured: What the hell? Music is what it is; it moves different people in different ways, and no track list I put together will be liked by everyone. And it shouldn't be. It's art.


So I put together The Film Geek's Songs of Angst and Reflection: The Artists with Distinctive Voices Rendition.

Here's the track list:

1. Wish You Were Here ~ Pink Floyd

A great song about missing a special person. Although the song might have been inspired by Roger Waters' relationship with Syd Barrett, the song can really be applied to any loss of an important friendship. It's timeless.

2. Imagine ~ John Lennon

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world


Enough said...

3. Black and Blue ~ Counting Crows

Singer/songwriter Adam Duritz can write the most beautiful songs about the most depressing things. He sort of specializes in songs about loneliness, alienation and angst. This one has a hint of optimism and resilience. It's really emotionally moving.

4. Nineteen Seventy-Nine ~ Lucero

I've only recently discovered Lucero, thanks to
Jackie. I can't stop listening to the band's music. Nineteen Seventy-Nine is a wonderful song of reflection, and touches on the despair that comes from waking from a relationship rut to recognize your loved one has evolved without you.

5. When The Stars Go Blue ~ Ryan Adams

This song has been sung by Tim McGraw and Bono, but Adams wrote it and performs it best, I think. Another of Jackie's influences on my music appetite.

6. Wasted Time ~ Eagles

A classic song about making poor life decisions over and over, and the lifestyle that can develop from never learning lessons from the mistakes that are made.

7. Gravity ~ John Mayer

A beautiful Blues-influenced song.

8. Into The Mystic ~ Van Morrison

Remember that feeling of being away from home-- and everything and everyone you love--and hating it so bad that you couldn't think of anything else? This song kept me sane during a year I spent in the mid-west.

9. One Of These Days ~ Neil Young

Young's letter-within-a-song to all the people he's been influenced and loved by in his life. It reminds me, when I hear it, to tell those people I love in my life how much I care for them.

10. Same Old Lang Syne ~ Dan Fogelberg

Yeah, I know it's dated. And it can be a bit cheesy. And it's considered a holiday song. But, this may be my most favorite song of reflection ever, and I never hear it on radio until December. I love this song for lots of reasons, but mostly because it
reminds me of me.

11. Round Here ~ Counting Crows

This Crows song was my personal anthem in my late 20's. It helped me through transitions into responsible adulthood, and I still love it for that as well as for being a great song.

12. I Can Get Us Out Of Here ~ Lucero

This song reminds me that we don't have to keep making the same old mistakes over and over in life, and that if we are brave enough we can choose a different path.

13. Come Pick Me Up ~ Ryan Adams

Great harmonica, terrific lyrics.

14. Dreamin' Man ~ Neil Young

Young's take on obsessive love and focus. It's a bit funny, and a bit scary as well.

15. The Blower's Daughter ~ Damien Rice

I first heard this song in the movie "Closer," and was immediately hooked. I have only the live version on CD and had to include it on this mix, but the studio version is amazing. It's haunting.

Whew...

I think now I may be depressed. I hope Rebecca holds up!

6 comments:

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

:)

I haven't jumped off a bridge yet. Ha ha! Actually, this is a pretty awesome mix! "Imagine" is one of my favorite songs, and I love pretty much anythign by Pink Floyd and Counting Crows.

I have heard the Damien Rice track before, but didn't know who it was. I like that one.

And thanks for tuning me in to Lucero! I like Nineteen Seventy Five. The Ryan Adams tracks are growing on me, too!

Very cool mix. I am impressed!

primalscreamx said...

Man, I always forget to check the message board... bummer.

Spike Nesmith said...

10. Same Old Lang Syne ~ Dan Fogelberg

I know, i feel your pain. But damn... "And as I turned to make my way back home, the snow turned into rain." That's exquisite songwriting right there. Exquisite.

The Film Geek said...

Hey, don't be hatin' Spike! :)

I tell ya, I love that song. Love it!

larryosaurus said...

Do I get a copy of this? :D

The Film Geek said...

Done! Four of the songs on it are from your musical influence already. So it's fitting. Mail it out next week.