Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Little Fockers

One of the things I most enjoy about blogging is the sense of community it provides. I've known the author of Read Me for several years, and have great respect for her artistry. Take a look at her blog, and and you'll see I ain't lying.

Recently Read Me caught a showing of Little Fockers. I was curious what she thought, so I asked her to write a guest commentary. Here is her post:


Some movies you watch and are amused by because your mood is right, you have an affinity for the actors in front of you in larger-than-life size, and you just want to like it. If those elements had not been present, I would have enjoyed nothing about Little Fockers.

I watched the other movies and thought that the level of discomfort that Greg Focker (Ben Stiller's character) felt was just enough to make it funny but not too outrageous to make me lose interest. In this third extension of the first of the Ben Stiller/Robert De Niro/Dustin Hoffman in-law comedies, that same level of discomfort still manages to bring some level of humor. Jessica Alba's character is bubbly and hard not to like, as a fashionably dressed and flirtatious young professional. The Little Fockers add a little charm, and Owen Wilsons's character brings a new level of interest and much-needed diversion to the tired theme of in-law boundary-pushing.

Parts of the movie seem a little slow and overly contrived, but if you go into the movie with low expectations, you will probably find a few reasons to laugh and little regret about the purchase of your family holiday matinee adventure, especially if your favorite family and friends are along for the ride.

3 comments:

Read Me said...

Thank you, Film Geek, for your kind and generous words. I've never been a guest blogger before. It's a big moment for me.

The Film Geek said...

Thanks for the write-up! It's always fun to interact with other bloggers who share the same interests. I sort of figured this movie would wind up making a lot of money, but be a dud in the comedy department. Too bad.

Little Fockers 2011 said...

I agree this movie is not the greatest of all time but still you can argue with the numbers..people love Ben Stiller not matter what and now when you have Jessica Alba and owen wilson on the cast you just can't go wrong...