Monday, May 02, 2011

Huntington, WV, On the Fly

I first became aware of Harvey Pekar in the 80s,when the American Splendor author did several guest spots on Late Night With David Letterman. Back in the 80s it seemed Dave was mostly throwing watermelons off high buildings, dressing up in Velcro suites and clinging to fabric-covered walls, or sparring with Pekar.

Pekar usually won.

Pekar died last summer at age 70. Before he passed away, though, Pekar spent time in Huntington, WV, where he participated in a book signing, then did a cameo in the independent film The Comic Book Lady.

His re-telling of that experience is in his latest book, Huntington, WV, On The Fly. You can pick up a copy at Comic World, at 4th Avenue and 12th Street.

One of the things I like best about this book is that it showcases a few Huntingtonians I know. Pekar gets the subtle charm and genuineness of Kathleen, the owner of Comic World, and the sincerity (and correct verbal rhythm) of her friend Shayne. Perhaps most fun for me, however, was seeing how my old friend Eric Meadows is portrayed in the book: quick-witted, slinging out dialogue with densely-packed references about movies few have heard of, and wearing funny hats.
 That's my buddy Eric!

Stop by Comic World and get a copy of Pekar's latest. And have them sign it for you before you go. It'll make a good read even better.

3 comments:

Phil said...

In the story, Eric mentions a podcast that he does. I've searched online but can't turn anything up about that project — do you know anything about it?

The Film Geek said...

Sorry, Phil. I don't. Wish I did.

Anonymous said...

Eric is one of the funniest guys I have ever met. I would love to see him in more movies or even doing standup.